Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Challenge of Losing Weight

Although I am not heavy by many standards, by running standards I am on the bigger side. It makes sense; the lighter you are the less you have to carry down the road. If you told me to go out and run with a 15 lb sack of potatoes, I would tell you that I couldn’t do it. So losing extra weight, the right way, can only be a good thing. By the Chicago Marathon in October, I would like to be 14 lbs lighter. That would place me at a weight that is still heavier than my High School weight but much lighter than I’ve been in years. I have found, however, that losing weight in my mid 50’s is akin to being able to do a 7’ pole vault. In other words, it is nearly impossible.

I am currently tracking everything that I eat. I’ve done this in the past and found that I actually lie to myself neglecting to enter foods that I know I shouldn’t have eaten. This time, I’m being honest with myself and can clearly see an emerging pattern. During the day, I am very good about what I eat breakfast and lunch are the right size and usually good things. At dinner time, however, I tend to eat huge portions, have alcohol and then something sweet. I’m not gaining weight and have actually lost a smidgen but to get the weight dropping off, I am definitely going to have to improve my evening habits. It doesn’t help that I’m married to an excellent cook that bakes fabulous bread! Not complaining here. Just sayin’ - it makes it difficult.

What motivates you to eat better? How have you lost weight? Tell me your story.

2 comments:

  1. Develop a mild intolerance for gluten and convince yourself that Bud Select 55 actually tastes like beer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I don't think there is a low calorie bourbon ;-)

    ReplyDelete