Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Addiction

Today was a training day and it felt good to move.  It is still too dark for me to comfortably run outside at 5:00 AM so I am still doing my runs on the treadmill at the gym.  Additionally, I’m working on building a base so need to be careful not to overdo it on my shorter weekday runs.   My plan today was to do longer, sustained periods of running at a slightly faster pace.  But I changed that when I got into the gym. I worked on intervals today running 1/1/1 intervals – 1 min over 6 mph, 1 min between 5 and 6 mph and 1 mi walking.  I ended up covering 4 miles.  I topped out at 6.5 mph This is a pretty good workout for me at this stage of the game.  I have to keep remembering that I’m not in it for speed (which I clearly don’t have anyway) but in it for the duration.   It is also important for me to remember that I don’t want to get injured and that I’ve never been a runner!!!    I feel great.
 
On Saturday morning, I am going to a www.GoodFormRunning.com clinic at the Naperville Running Company.   I’ve been pretty cognizant of my running form; it makes a HUGE difference in the stress I put on my knees and lower back.  I’m sure, however, that I will get some pointers and new ideas.  One of the reasons that I registered is to just get out there with other runners.  Catch their excitement.  Right now, I’m doing this alone but it would be great to find some other, older, slower runners to train with.  
 
On to addictions.  Why can’t I give up Diet Pepsi?  I have one or two a day and for the life of me can’t give those suckers up.  I know they are not good for me, there are lots of substitutes and I will feel better with them banished from my life.   But I can’t do it.  I can get up at 4:30 most days of the week to run, I can pack my lunch daily, eat healthy, etc but the Diet Pepsi’s they pull me in.   I suppose there are worse addictions but it bothers me that I have little or no control over this product.    Having written this, I am going to try again and drive this evil out of my life.  I’ll be reporting in on my progress.  I think this is going to be harder than training for the marathon.   I am so weak.
 
Hope you’re all having a great day.  Remember to show up for your life, no one else is going to do it for you.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog! It looks like you are off to a great start. Those intervals will help you build strength and endurance much more quickly than just going out for a steady run. Just be careful & get your rest/recovery days in! Kicking the soda habit is tough. Does it help having other options readily available, as an alternative when you want to reach for a Pepsi? A mineral water flavored with an orange or lemon squeeze?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alma. The alternative approach works as long as they're right there. My biggest problem is lunch time at work. I think part of it is the caffeine calling me. I think publicly stating that I wouldn't have one has already helped. None yesterday, none today!

    ReplyDelete