Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Playoffs - No Running

One thing I'm learning about training for a marathon at this age, rest is really important.  On Friday, I ran 6.5 miles.  My current long, slow run.  Could I have run today?  Sure.  But another day of rest will be really helpful and it IS NFL playoff weekend.   That with 8 inches of snow on the ground makes for a perfect recovery day. 

My training time is 5 AM each weekday morning.  I started exercising at this hour a couple of years ago and have never looked back.  I fought the early morning workout for years but once I tried it, I was hooked.  I've belonged to the same gym for over 20 years but really didn't know anyone.  Start going in the morning, however, and these people become friends.  You see them each morning, they're always there.  You change clothing with them, put on makeup together, etc.  We know each others' names and notice when someone misses a few days.  There is nothing better than the 5 AM gym crowd.   I've started noticing people that start running even earlier than that and finish their runs at the gym for the sauna, steam room and showers.  Hmmmm.... not sure about running at 4 AM, but thinking about it.

As I type this, the Ravens have just gone ahead of the Patriots.  I'm pulling for the Ravens and the 49ers.  The Harbaugh brothers in the SuperBowl.  How cool would that be?!

2 comments:

  1. I get up for a 520am meditation class and exercise in the afternoon. I know what you mean about the early morning time, my kids think I'm nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Kris! You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete