Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Key is Organization

Today was a planned rest day.  I knew I would get to bed too late last night to make the early morning gym call so I decided not to get overly stressed and take a rest day.
 
The key to going to the gym or running early in the morning is organization.  Each night I lay out my workout clothes, decide what I’m going to wear to work and iron if necessary, pack up underwear, jewelry, and other accessories, pack a lunch and put it all out in the car.  In the morning, I roll out of bed, wash my face, brush my teeth change into workout clothes and drive off.  NOT today.  What a disaster!  I didn’t do any of my night time planning and this morning was a free for all.  I must have gone up and down the stairs a dozen times because I kept forgetting things; I’m dressed in some really weird clothing today; and my lunch is an odd concoction of food.  My rest day has actually been a bit stressful.
 
Another reason to run from today’s New York Times.  http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/18/how-exercise-may-keep-alzheimers-at-bay/
“But a cautiously encouraging new study from The Archives of Neurology suggests that for some people, a daily walk or jog could alter the risk of developing Alzheimer's or change the course of the disease if it begins.”   We are all looking for the fountain of youth.  I think it is found in exercise.  It doesn’t have to be running but running is less complex than other sports.  Grab a pair of running shoes, put on a pair of shorts and go.  Is it easy, no, but the benefits both long and short term are unbelievable.   Try it.  You will like it!  Bad knees, don’t run but get out there and move.
 
Next Wednesday, February 1st is the first day to register for the Chicago Marathon.  Now THAT I have planned.   No reason to put it off, I’ll be registering on the 1st.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment