Thursday, December 6, 2012

Keeping With The Plan


I’m just about to finish Week 14 of the Running Plan being laid out by my running coach, Caroline Yasuda. This is the first time I’ve run for over 3 months straight without an injury and I feel stronger each day. Caroline’s plan, which was different from the others that I’ve done, has more frequent runs with shorter duration. Sticking with it, I’ve noticed the gradual improvement in my running. The runs no longer feel like incredible slogs. Instead, I feel good through the whole run and just wish my legs were up to a bit more at the end. Although I have pushed it a few times, I’ve been good about stopping realizing that Caroline has set this plan up for a reason. I even stuck with the plan on vacation and enjoyed running in the new environment. I truly enjoyed the track running that I did and wish I had a similar facility near home.

Caroline, at my request, embedded four Fall 5K’s into the plan. It has been wonderful to get out there with people and be part of the running scene. I hope to do even more as time progresses. I’ve signed up for a local pub run on Dec. 18th and hope to meet a few folks there. It should be a blast. Run three miles, end at a pub and wear bad Christmas sweaters. I couldn’t have designed a better run. While we were on vacation, I learned about the Wine Country Half Marathon in Carlton, OR over Labor Day weekend. I’m thinking that might be just the right thing for me. I’ve already been invited to an after run party at Kristen and Patty’s house. What nice folks.

Winter weather is beginning to arrive in Chicagoland. Nothing major yet but temperatures are colder and night starts earlier. This week I did my first truly after dark run. Someone gave me a battery operated blinking running vest. I think I’m visible from about ½ mile away as cars flashed their brights at me to figure out what I was. The bright lights were annoying but I was pretty sure no one was going to hit me. I couldn’t help but think that I look like a moving Christmas tree as I ran by houses decorated more modestly than I was. The temperature was about 35 degrees with a light wind. I wore running tights, a long sleeved tech tee, light windbreaker, the vest, a fleece hat and fleece gloves. I was quickly very warm around my core but noticed that my feet were a little chilly --- got to look for longer winter running socks. My head was pretty sweaty when I got back but that’s the norm for me.
By the way …. I still haven’t given up hopes of doing the Chicago Marathon. I will assess my chances for success as Spring approaches!

No comments:

Post a Comment