Sunday, December 23, 2012

Blow Up Monstrosities

The Midwest is desperately in need of moisture but all of this dryness has allowed me to keep running outside.  I have discovered that I really like running in the cold.  Not only is it just easier to run in the cold, but at least time of year, it is such a pleasure on a night run to see everyone's home lit up with Christmas lights.  I must compliment all my neighbors on tasteful holiday displays.  Only a couple houses with blow up monstrosities.  When did they become popular in the first place?  Kind of like having a car dealer "King Kong" in front of one's house.  Although, that might be more fun that a blow up Snoopy on his doghouse.

Back to running in the cold.  It is so easy to dress for temperatures in the 20's when it is dry.  I'm finding that tights, a long sleeve tech tee, a very thin fleece jacket and a baseball cap is all I need.  I wore a fleece cap today and found it to be way too hot.  I also started with fleece gloves but had them off after the first mile.   Only covered 3.5 miles today and did a bunch of 3 min run/1 min walk intervals.  I just didn't feel like running 15 minutes straight (as called for in my training plan) with a one minute walk repeated a couple times.  I'm finding running longer than about 10 mins straight is just boring.  The walk breaks are, for me, just a change in what I'm doing.  I will continue to train for longer running periods (I'm supposed to hit a 30 min run within the next 2 weeks) but I enjoy those days when I just run/walk as I please.  I know for the serious runners that these are just junk days but I'm not serious.
Rocket Elf Enjoying His Holiday Wear

In honor of not being serious, when I got back today my husband made fabulous buttermilk pancakes.  No better way to finish a run :-)  Don't think I would want them on a 70 degree day but on a cold day absolutely.

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas.  Here's one of my reluctant elves to wish you Happy Holidays.

2 comments:

  1. Buttermilk pancakes here on Saturday. Dang, they are good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh your cat is so cute! I love putting costumes on my cat. She hates it of course.

    ReplyDelete