Thursday, December 27, 2012

Finishing 2012 Strong

2012 was a year of ups and downs in my running life.  I started the year with hopes of running the Chicago marathon and ended the year just being glad to run without pain.  As March 2012 started, I was just completing my first 12 mile run and thought I was well on my way to the marathon.  Then life got in the way.  I went to Alabama to visit my elderly Aunt Marie and took a few extra days off from running.  When I started up again, I didn’t take account of the time I was off and went out the shoot with “too far” and ended up with a stress fracture.  I didn’t give the injury enough time to heal and tried again coming to a dead stop on Easter weekend.  My poor husband watched me hobble to the house shaking his head thinking “she’s done it again.”  I was completely sidelined from running until late summer.  
Not willing to risk yet another injury (in 2011 I had knee problems) I decided to engage a running coach.  The best running decision I’ve made.  Caroline has been putting together a training schedule for me that has taken it slow and steady and I have consistently followed her plan.  She’s kept me at a slow pace (11:30 to 11:50) and has very slowly been increasing my running intervals and decreasing my walking time.  As the New Year approaches, I’m just about to do my first 30 minute straight runs without any walk break.  Given my previous injuries, my age and the fact that I take a beta blocker (which affects my ability to increase my heart rate), I never thought I would run 30 minutes straight. 
I considered letting Caroline go and trying it on my own.  It is a great luxury to be able to spend the money, it’s not like I’ll ever be a competitive athlete.  Caroline, however, offered me a lower priced, less frills option and I’ve decided to stick with her.  If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, right?  We’ve discussed my 2013 goals and she’s confident (so am I) that I will meet them. 
What else was on the upswing in 2012?  My shoes!  My injuries all occurred while running in a pair of Asics.  I’m sure they are fine shoes, but they just were not right for me.  I have a very high arch.  I think my orthopedist’s comment was “my god, how do you walk on those things?”  I did a bunch of research and am now swapping runs between a pair of Mizuno Precision 13’s and a pair of Brooks Ghost 5’s.  Besides a committed focus on my running form, I believe the shoes have made a HUGE difference. 
And lastly, my husband gift to me of a Nike+ GPS watch also has helped me close the year on an upswing.  My friend, Sherry, tried to convince me that a gadget was a good motivator.  Of course, I argued with her and truly believed, at the time, that none of that was necessary and going minimalist (with regards to gadgets) was the way to go.  I was wrong.  I love tracking my progress on www.nike.com and seeing my post run routes come alive with pace and elevation.  I’ve had it three months now and seriously love it.
Life is good when running is good. 


No comments:

Post a Comment