Thursday, March 26, 2015

It’s A 15 mile, Freakin’, Trail Run!!!

How do I end up signed up for a race like the 15 miler of the Earth Day 50K/15 Miler/5K?  I’ve never run a trail race.  Heck, I’ve essentially never run a trail.  I have run a few short segments and hiked many a trail but a 15 mile trail run?  What was I thinking?!    There are only about three weeks until the Mudd Runners, Earth Day 50K/15 Miler/5K and I’m both nervous and excited.   At least I was sane enough not to sign up for the 50K.  Let’s see how the 15 miler goes before taking that leap on a trail run.

Why am I nervous?  Because it’s a 15 mile, freakin’ trail run.  I don’t have any idea how fast or slow I will be out on the trail.  The course is a 5 mile loop that we run 3 times.  I don’t know how to handle the fast people that will be lapping me two or three times while they complete the 50K.  Will it be motivational or will it blow my mind?  How does one run through mud and not lose their shoes?  How does one run through mud period?  Will the uphills be so steep that I have to crawl?  Will the downhills scare me?  Oh, so much to worry about.   The 50K has an eight hour cut off and apparently, if I need it, I can take all eight hours for the 15 miler.  I sure hope not!  I’m not shooting for a goal time but eight hours is way beyond my expected finish time.

Hiking, no running (also quite a bit younger)
Why am I excited? Because it’s a 15 mile, freakin’ trail run!!!  What fun it will be running through the woods and trails on a lovely April morning.  I spend too much time on suburban blacktop.   How great will it be to see trees in bud, mud and green grass.   !!!  I’ve been combing over the Facebookpage for the run, looking at previous years’ results and photos and reading all sorts of trail run motivational stuff.  The photos from previous years look fantastic.  The sun has been out, the trails look soft (someplace VERY muddy) and everyone looks happy.   All the women look beautiful and about half my age.  Sigh, sometimes I think it would be better if I felt 57 (whatever that means) then maybe I wouldn’t sign up for these races.    On the other hand, if I finish strong, being 57 years old just adds to my bad ass status.  Or maybe, just to my ass status.  Either way. :-)


But a couple road races are up before this event.  First, the Bolingbrook Shake It Off 5K to benefit the Michael J. Fox foundation on Saturday, March 28th and then the 2nd Annual Chicago Quarter Marathon on Saturday, April 4th.  Race reports due up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment