Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Hoka One One Conquest - Meh

Naperville Running Company Basement before the Run - Everyone in Conquests

Last night, the Naperville Running Company (“NRC”) hosted a fun run featuring Hoka One One’s newest shoe, the Conquest.  NRC hosts a fun run every 2 to 3 weeks and they are a great opportunity to try out new equipment, get together with new and old friends, run the lovely Naperville Riverwalk and get an after run treat.    Last night’s run was particularly nice as the weather had warmed up (the prior week’s run had been in the low single digits) and a good number of Bolingbrook Fun Run Club members came out to enjoy the evening.  The path was a little icy but I don’t think we had any mishaps and every one came back in with a smile on their face.

My soft Mafate 3s
On to the Conquest.  First, let me say that I’m a Hoka One One owner.  I have a pair of Mafate 3 trail shoes and love them.   They are touted as the softest feel in the Hoka line and I believe it.  They’re like running on pillows.  Although the size 8.5 Mafate 3’s that I own are a bit too large and wide for my feet (buyer error), with multiple socks, I can run in them comfortably.  I find that I have very little post run muscle or joint discomfort, even after running on sidewalks.  So, I was hoping and expecting to love the Conquest.
Women's Conguest


The women’s Conquest is a nice looking shoe.   It comes in two color combinations, one more of a berry color with a predominantly white sole and one a multi pink version with a predominantly yellow sole.  The men’s version shown last night was almost a solid yellow with black trim – I didn’t particularly care for it, but it was ok.   Knowing that the size 8.5 Mafate’s is too large, I tried on a size 8 and I must say it was a much better fit than the Mafate.  It still has a large toe box but the overall fit of the shoe was narrower than the Mafate.  For me, this was a real plus.   After putting these on, I was raring to go!

But that’s where my love of the Conquest stopped.  The Conquest, by design, has less foam and more rubber (it still has a VERY thick sole) for a stiffer ride.  Perhaps it is my ultra high arches and my need for a neutral shoe, but almost immediately I started to feel twinges in my knee.  I haven’t felt this kind of thing since I dumped my Asics back in 2012.  As the small group I was running with went along I heard complaints about arch pain, burning in the balls of the feet and general dislike.  At least for my group of slower runners, there wasn’t a great love of the Conquest.

The Hoka Rep and her shoes
Having said that, the faster runners seemed relatively pleased with the Conquest.  Although I did hear one purchased on April 1, 2013 by Deckers Outdoor, the parent company for UGG, Teva and other footwear brands, is trying to find a Hoka model that broadens out their market.  The Conquest might just do that. There are many runners who don’t want the extra soft cushioning.  I will, however, stick to their models with more foam and less rubber like the Mafate 3, and the Bondi.  $170 is a lot to spend on shoes that aren’t perfect.
comment, that the shoes were ok but no need to spend that kind of money for an ok shoe.  My guess is that Hoka One One,

After last night’s run, we were treated with pizza, hot chocolate and HUGE marshmallows.  Hoka One One also handed out free t-shirts and hats.   I love having the Runners World #1 Running Store in my hometown.  Naperville Running Company, you rock!


Have any of you tried the Conquest?   What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment