Monday, February 3, 2014

Running into 2014

I’ve been so bad about blogging… didn’t even do an end of year recap of 2013.  I’m no longer going to promise to write more frequently.  I just haven’t been able to keep that promise and not keeping it creates unneeded pressure.  Instead, I will just try to write more frequently. 

In order to get into the mood and right one wrong, here is a very recap of 2013.  I did it!  I ran a marathon.  I ran THE CHICAGO MARATHON.  People can rave about New York and Boston but Chicago is the one to write home about.  First, it starts and ends in the same place, no getting bussed to some place to wait for hours or having to have your gear moved; it’s all right there.  Second, 26.2 miles of Chicago, on foot with no traffic in the fall, is just an amazingly beautiful run.  Third, the support of the crowd is unparalleled.  There wasn’t anywhere on the course without fan support.  Adults, kids, dogs, it was all there.  And finally, it’s now my hometown.  Chicago is beautiful, friendly and best of all J FLAT.  
 
Having said that, I’m glad I ran it last year.  The price for 2014 has gone up another $10 to $185.  That’s ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHT FIVE DOLLARS to run a marathon.  That’s outrageous.  Although I loved doing it, the cheap t-shirt they hand out amazes me.  I’m sure when you’re ordering 45,000 tshirts from a vendor you can get a good price.  Yet, Chicago continues to hand out a cheap t-shirt for a significant event.  I’ve gotten much nicer shirts for little local 5K’s in Podunk towns.   I’m truly glad I can say I’ve run Chicago but that will likely be my one and only time.  I’ll be running in other cities and towns from here on.  I will, however, go and cheer every year that I can.  Having run it, I know how important the crowd is and I want to be part of it.  It will be an annual even for me and my husband.

On my way to the marathon, I ran 10 half marathons last year including the Oregon Wine Country Half Marathon in Carlton, OR, the Naperville Half Marathon in my hometown,  and a handful of virtual halves.  If you’re training for a marathon, signing up for virtual runs and getting the medals is a real motivator.   Why not get medals for your training runs?  Plus, if you sign up wisely, the registration money goes to some good causes and I’m sure you can find one or two for charities you already support.   Between the marathon and halves, I now have a hangar full of medals.   They make me feel like a winner.  As my friend Crystal might say, “Heck yeah!  I am a winner”.

Total mileage for 2013, 818 miles.  A full year with no injuries.

We are already well into 2014 and this year’s race calendar is set, one 5K is completed and 75 miles are in the books.  


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment