Saturday, May 31, 2014

Back Into the Fire! The Waterfall Xtreme 10

Signing up for the Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 race on July 13th sounded like good idea after being beaten by the measly hills at the Morton Arboretum on a cold April morning.  Train for the hills and don’t let them beat you down, I thought.   Perhaps, I was kidding myself.  Those hills have the potential to whip my butt!

Running DOWN Big Bertha
This morning 12 Bolingbrook Fun Run Club members met at Waterfall Glen for a 10 mile training run.  We took the obligatory group picture and set off on a gentle 1 min run/1 min walk regimen.  At the 8:25 AM time of our departure, the temperature was hovering in the mid 60’s and the sun was shining brightly.  As this was our first 10 mile training run this year and we had a few Waterfall Glen newbies we set off in the “easy” direction.  The direction where we run down Big Bertha rather than up her.  In retrospect, this was a really wise choice. 


What a great group we had this morning.  A couple of our faster members took off to run the whole trail while those of us who are slower stuck to run/walk intervals and chatted up a storm.  We talk about all sorts of things on these runs and it is just such a nice experience.  We took a little side trip to actually see the waterfall of Waterfall Glen and stopped a couple times for potty breaks and refueling. 
Checking out the Waterfall


As the morning wore on, the temperature started climbing and we started to drag.  The whole idea of marathon training runs is time on the feet.  We accomplished that this morning!  We were on our feet for a little over two and a half hours.   We walked the entire last two miles and no one was unhappy that we did.  At one point, I found myself feeling a little woozy and as I sit here tonight, I still think I am a little dehydrated although I’ve been drinking water all day.   


Thinking about doing Big Bertha in the “hard” direction on a hot July day a month and a half away, I think I am crazy.  Although, I am also thinking…..get out there a do those hills.   Guess I will be working on some hot, afternoon hill repeats the next month or so for conditioning.  If not, I might just come in last at the Xtreme 10.  Worse things can happen. J


2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin! I nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award :) Happy Monday! See details on my page at: http://matmilesmedals.com/whoareyouinspiring/#more-594

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I will follow the rules a little later today! Glad to know someone reads this stuff once in awhile.

      Delete