Monday, May 26, 2014

A Little Bit of Everything

BFRC and Others on Memorial Day 2014
I’ve been thinking a lot about why my running club, The Bolingbrook Fun Run Club (“BFRC”), is so important to me.  Certainly there are individuals in the club that have become good friends.  Those people are special and I hope to always stay close to them.  But it is the whole club that I’ve come to value, even the people that I’ve run with but don’t really know.   What is it about this group?


The reason BFRC is so special is it is a little bit of everything.  It is diversity personified.  Nowhere else in my life am I part of such a diverse group that appreciates its similarities (running and running community) above all of its differences.   I’ve described this group to outsiders this way - we have people of all ages, people who have high school degrees through people who hold Ph.D.’s, people who cover all racial groups, an amazing array of ethnic backgrounds, probably all religions and no religion, we likely have representatives of each letter of LGBT and we certainly cover all of the political spectrum.  Yet, we all get along and often say “I love you guys” and mean it.   I do mean it.  I love being a part of this amazing little bit of everything.

4 comments: