Saturday, September 8, 2012

Coming Back Slowly....

I am now making my third attempt at a comeback after a stress fracture laid me down in April.  Hoping that the third time is a charm.  Time to start the blog up again.  A few weeks ago, I started a comeback program that I found in a spring copy of Runners World.  It is clearly a not too much, not too soon program starting with 20 sec intervals of running followed by 40 sec intervals of walking ramping up over 4 weeks to 45 minutes of 30 sec run/30 sec walk intervals.  Then, however, it just leaves you cold.   Although the program was working, it just didn't seem like it was going to get me to where I need to be.   So, I started Googling "running coaches" in my hometown.  After a little research, I called Caroline Yashuda and boy am I glad I did.  Just meeting her is inspirational.  Caroline has run many marathons and ultra marathons, paces for other runners and is just an all around upbeat lady.  I have to say her fitness level is a bit intimidating but heck, shouldn't a running coach be fit?

267 hmmmm there were only 209 runners
Her plan for me is different than what I was doing with longer running intervals followed by even longer walking intervals for now.  She also has worked strength training and cross training into my plan.  I am just finishing up my first week working with Caroline (it is mostly via email although we did run together on Thursday morning) and I'm pleased.   Today, I ran my first 5K since last year's Thanksgiving Turkey Trot.  Ok, I only partially ran it, but I was out there.  Caroline worked the 5K into my program and I mostly stuck to the run walk intervals that she suggested.  I got a little carried away and ran a bit more than she had mapped out but I was pretty careful.  It was a miracle that I even got there!  Last night, Peter was baking bread in Chicago and got home late.  Although he was very quiet, I woke up a little when he came in, disrupting my sleep.  Then, this morning, it was so cool and comfy in bed that I could have easily convinced myself not to go.  But, the run was for DuPage PADS (public action to deliver shelter) and I had checked runners in last night and it looked like a bunch of good people.  I forced myself out of bed, ran the run and was home before 9:30 AM.
DuPage PADS Race Shirt


It took me 38 minutes to finish and I was 170 out of 209 runners.  Not exactly a PR but it was a lot of fun.  It was 55 degrees at race time with a crystal clear sky.  Perfect running weather.  By the end of the run it was actually hot -- 61 degrees.  If you're feeling cold, get out there and run.  It is like a free furnace.

I still want to run longer runs and eventually get to the Chicago marathon.  But first, I'm hoping with a bit more care I can become a daily runner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment