Monday, September 28, 2015

50 Miles. Boom!

Get ready for a long post; it was a long run.  Photo credits go to all my friends who joined us on the trail.

Just over two weeks ago, on Saturday, September 12, 2015, I became an ultra marathoner. No 50K for me, 50 miles! The following is my race report and story of completing the Hennepin Hundred 50 miler.

I signed up for this run on Thanksgiving weekend 2014. As it was an inaugural run, there was a ridiculously low early bird price of $75. I've run half marathons that cost more than that. The price per mile was irresistible. Even as I pressed the confirm button, I wondered what I was getting myself into. Weather in Illinois in early September can be beautiful or brutal, training for 50 could be way too hard, what if I got injured, etc. Who knew what the eventual outcome would be?

My training plan was less than scientific. I found a Runners World 50 mile plan that looked reasonable. It didn't force super long runs or too many back to back runs but was focused on more weekly mileage and a few long runs. I then modified it even more for the run/walk method I use and to go with my theory that undertrained and healthy was better than over trained and injured. By the time I went into this, I had only done one 20 mile run followed by a 15 mile run, one month before the event.  Sufficiently under trained!

Back last November I posted this event on Meetup and started to urge my friend, Gladys, to sign up. She eventually did and we made plans to do this together. I think knowing that you will have someone out there with you makes any long run easier.  Gladys now says that I pushed her into doing it but I think she signed up without much arm twisting.
The 2015 Hennepin Hundred (HH) was an inaugural race put on by MUDD Ultrarunning Dudes & Dudettes and race director, Michelle Hartwig.  I had attempted their Earth Day 15 miler at Veteran Acres and Sternes Woods in Crystal Lake, IL but found that I was not quite ready for 15 miles on hilly trails.  But, I did see that they had put on a well organized race and I was excited to try another one of their races.  I was particularly excited that the HH was on the flat, not technical, Hennepin Canal trail.  Not only was the path non-technical, but a portion of it would be on pavement.  As a road runner, that was closer to my normal running surface.


On Monday, April 20th, I started my training plan for the 50 miler.  The plan that I chose had a six week base period, a nine week buildup period, a three week peak period and a three week taper.  I missed some of the long runs during the summer months but generally kept to the plan.  The one thing that I didn’t do that I plan to focus on after the Chicago Marathon is more strength training.  As I age, I definitely am losing strength and muscle tone and need to work on that.  I did my longest runs at a local park with a 1.25 mile looped trail.  Round and round I went.  Although a little boring, I love doing my runs like this as friends are able to join me for as much of the run as they want, I pass my car on every loop so I can replenish whatever I need and this particular park has restroom facilities.  It is also a pretty little park with ball fields and lots of people out walking their dogs.  There is something to look at!
20 miler at McCullom with Friends

As the date for the HH approached, the weather in Chicagoland got hot and humid.  I told Gladys that if the temperature was predicted to be in the 90’s, I wasn’t even going to start.  No point in killing myself just to say I had run a 50.  But about a week before, although the weather was dreadfully hot, the long range forecast started showing high’s in the 60’s for September 12th and that is what we eventually got… just for that one day.  It was kind of a beginner’s ultra-miracle.
 
Our friend Petra made us
good luck charms that worked!'
The starting line for the HH was in Sinnissippi Park in Sterling, IL but the finish line was 50 miles away at Lock 17 in Wyanet, IL.  As such, we decided to stay near the finish line and get bussed to the starting line the morning of the race.  Originally, I had us booked at a dumpy, Days Inn in Princeton, IL but after poking around on the web a bit, I found a lovely B&B, The Chestnut Street Inn in Sheffield, IL.   I booked us for both Friday and Saturday night figuring driving home 80 miles after running 50 miles, in the dark, was probably not a good idea.

One of the differences in running an ultra is drop bags.  These are bags in which you’ve placed food and other things that you want access to along the race route.  For the 50 mile race, there were three “in route” drop bag locations and we could also drop a bag at the race start to be found at the finish line.  There are a number of good blogposts out there about what to put into drop bags and we took heed.  Additionally, our friend Caroline was running the 100 miler and she also gave us great advice. For one, keep it simple.  I had extra socks in two bags (just in case it rained or my feet got overly sweaty), baby wipes, salt stick, Honey Stinger waffles, band aids, one clean hat, small cans of coke a cola and extra 2Toms products.  I also included a long sleeved shirt in one and a wind breaker for the bag I would be picking up as it got dark.  Drop bags are left at packet pick-up so you have to be organized at least one day early.

Mandatory Pre Race Meeting
Packet pick-up, unfortunately, was at the 100 mile finish line in Colona, IL which was 50 miles away from the starting line and another 50 miles away from the 50 mile finish line.  That was one of the suggestions I made to the organizers – make packet pickup convenient for the 50 milers too.  Friday, September 11th, was a beautiful day, however, and we had a pleasant drive out to Colona.  Packet pick-up was easy and the mandatory pre-race meeting was mostly common sense.  The race shirt is a nice grey shirt with a rounded hem and blue, three quarter length sleeves.  The neck comes up too high for me so I don’t think I will be wearing it much but it is a nice shirt.  At packet pick-up, they were selling HH sweatshirts in a grey blue or bright green and the proceeds went to the Trails for Illinois organization.  I bought a blue one and have already worn it a bunch of times.  There were lots of samples of 2Toms products available and I took a few to use on race morning – Butt Shield and Sportshield for her.


Then, we drove back to Sheffield, and had dinner at Red’s Bar & Grill.  Apparently this place can get very busy (it’s the only place around) on weekend nights but we were there early enough and easily got a table.  Gladys and I both had a ribeye steak and a baked potato.  The potato was amazing!  I have to think they were locally grown as it was the best baked potato I think I ever had.   After dinner, we went off in search of the finish line where the bus would pick us up the next morning and it was a good thing!  We followed Google’s directions exactly and ended up in some farmer’s yard on the wrong side of the river.  We rolled down the car window and asked where Lock 17 was and he gave us great directions.  He was very nice and helpful, not sure he would have been at 5 am, nor would we have had time to make it around in time to pick up the bus.
Dinner with Gladys at Reds

Once we were satisfied that we knew where to go in the morning, we went back to Sheffield to check in at the Chestnut Street Inn.  What a find!  We stayed in the green room and each had a separate bedroom as well as a sitting room with a TV, which we didn’t use.  It was perfect for two people travelling together.  Additionally, the beds were super comfortable and it was deadly quiet.  There was only one problem and that was that I fell down the stairs to the butler’s pantry the night before the race!  Yikes!  I really thought I might have broken something but I didn’t.  I’m still a little bruised but I was good to go for the HH.  The owner of the B&B was kind enough to get up at 3:45 on Saturday morning and make us coffee.  It was way beyond the call of duty but we really appreciated having coffee!!!!

After coffee, off we went.  It was VERY dark still as we drove to Lock 17 and got on the bus that would take us to Sterling.  Because it was so early, the bus was pretty quiet as we drove, and drove, and drove.  Were we really going to run this far?   The buses pulled into Sinnissippi park and many of us immediately hopped off and got in line at the port-a-potties (2) or walked down to the real bathrooms at one of the park buildings.  We had about an hour to kill so many got back on the warm buses to wait.  I don’t get particularly nervous while waiting for races to start but I could sense that many other people were feeling anxious.  Although I really didn’t feel like eating, I knew I should eat and managed to eat my standard Nature Valley granola bar and a banana.  I also managed to poop.  It is amazing how managing to do that before a race makes the whole start better.  One less thing to worry about.

Just before race time, people gathered at the start line and there was Michele Hartwig greeting everyone with a big smile.  Gladys and I each got a shot of ourselves with Michele at the start line and she gave us each a word of encouragement.  Michele genuinely is concerned for the runners in her race and we could feel it.  Thank you Michele, it makes a huge difference.
With Race Director Michele Hartwig

And then it was 7:00 AM…. We were off!  The first part of the run was through Sinnissippi park, then a local neighborhood in Sterling and then over the bridge in Rock Falls to get onto the Hennepin feeder canal.  Gladys and I had planned to go out slowly and we quickly became the back of the pack.  That was totally fine with me as our goal was to finish.  We could see a larger pack of runners ahead of us off in the distance and we kept them in sight for many miles.   Our initial strategy was a 45 second walk/45 second run pattern.  We did this for the first five miles or so but Gladys felt we were going too fast and she asked to slow down, which we did.  She was probably right and slowing down insured that we would finish.  For the first four or five hours the trail was a combination of dirt, crushed gravel and some pavement and was fairly well shaded.  Temperatures were in the 50’s and 60’s and it was a glorious morning.  We passed bikers, people fishing, the Yak Yak Sisters in Kayaks on the canal, canoeists and of course, the wonder volunteers at the Aid Stations.  Everyone was excited to see all of us go by and many were amazed that people were running 50, let alone 100, miles.  During the morning hours we also saw an immature eagle, a ton of squirrels and lots of other birds.   The Aid Stations were fully stocked, even for us back of the packers, with water, Tailwind, food and plain ole’ old fashion support.  We loved the volunteers!
The Beautiful Trail

Somewhere around mile 20, as we approached the noon hour, the sun and the heat of the day started to get to us.  At this point the trail also was mostly compressed, old pavement and very hard on our feet and legs.  Gladys had befriended another runner, Karen, who joined us somewhere around this time.  Between the heat and just the time on the trail we were getting tired and decided to convert our strategy to 45 seconds running and two minutes walking.  We were still averaging 14 to 15 minutes per mile moving time so we were pretty certain we would make the 15 hour cut off time.  Originally we had been told the cutoff was 13 hours and we could have made that but we learned at packet pickup that we, in fact, had 15 hours.  As we just wanted to finish, this helped a lot.  The 15 hour time meant we could spend a few extra minutes at the aid stations and enjoy the run.

After about the midway point, our friends from the Bolingbrook Fun Run Club started to appear at the Aid Stations that were accessible to spectators and crew.  At first, we were not certain about how we felt about folks driving so far out to just see us for a couple minutes but we quickly realized just how much of a boost they were giving us and Caroline.  I sure hope I don’t forget anyone here but a huge thank you to the three Sandys, Michelle, Yoko, Carla, Diane, Bill, Petra, and Hilda.  Seeing you along the way made all the difference. 
The BFRC Supporting Group
  

Running an ultra is really mind over matter.  I decided early on that I would focus only on running to the next Aid Station.  As we would leave each Aid Station, I would ask myself “can you run X miles?” and the answer was always “yes” so I would focus on just that segment.  The Aid Stations were all between 3.5 and 6 mile apart.  I always felt I could do that much more.


As the run (we really were not racing) went on we started to pass a few folks.  One man appeared to really be struggling and as I passed him I asked “are you part of the HH or are you just out for a stroll?”  He said he was doing the 100 but was pretty sure he was going to pull out at the Sheffield Aid Station.  I have to believe that he did.  We also passed a man in military clothing wearing army boots who told us he was National Guard and doing the 100 miles too.  As we took the turn off the feeder, around mile 32, onto the Hennepin canal and headed east we began to see the front runners of the 100 miler.  Maybe the most exciting moment of the day was seeing the front runner coming toward us smiling and saying “looking good ladies”.   Instead of being focused only on his success, he took the time to make us feel good too.  We really appreciated that.  Good runners know that everyone is trying their best.

Other highlights of the run were seeing a mink slide into the water, running through dark culverts that spooked Gladys, the many happy, encouraging faces at the Aid Stations, our friends, the moments when running felt really good, and the absolutely beautiful, crystal clear day that we were blessed with.
Christmas In July Aid Station
 

Aid Station No. 9, at mile 43.9 had hot dogs and hamburgers.  I have got to say that was the best cold hot dog I have EVER had and I am so glad they were there.  That hot dog gave me the boost to finish.  That and the ongoing support of my Bolingbrook Run Club Friends.   Shortly after this point, the sun started to set and we ran through an amazing golden hour and a beautiful sunset.  The stars started to appear and eventually we had to turn on our headlamps.
As night was starting to set in

Aid Station 10 was at the finish line but after we reached it we had to go out for the last three miles of the run.  That was almost cruel.  We were so close and yet so far.  As started off on the last three miles, our headlamps glowing, we knew we had this in the bag.  The temperatures had fallen into the low 50’s, we still felt great and we were a little bit giddy.  But man, that three miles dragged on.  At one point, we thought we must have missed the turn around and discussed just turning around at that point.   I’m sure glad we didn’t because there was a timing mat at the turn around!  If we hadn’t crossed it, we wouldn’t have an official finish.  When we did cross the mat and turn around, it was very dark and the trail had quite a few holes in it and a deep drop off on one side down to the canal.  Although we still ran a little bit, we mostly walked the last mile and a half just to be sure we were safe.  
Heading out for the last 3 miles

Yes, we will finish!
Then the finish line appeared in the distance, we really were going to do this thing.  As we approached a couple friends stepped out to greet us and ask how we were.  We were doing great!  As we crossed the bridge and approached the finish line, we held hands and ran across together.  We did it!!!  How fun it was to have our friends there too.  Gladys was so inspired that she did push-ups!   She also got a big surprise when her husband showed up, unexpectedly, to help her celebrate.  Nice Chris!

I walked up to the timing folks to check in with my number and they asked if I was Gladys.  I said “no, I’m Kristin Shulman” and they said “congratulations, you were 3rd in your age group” and I got an age group award.  I have to admit that was pretty exciting.  I was the oldest woman doing the 50 or the 100 miler and I finished and I wasn’t last I’m proud of myself.   Oh year, it took us something like 13 hours and 48 minutes to finish.
We finished!!!

We hung around for a while afterwards and chatted with our friends and ate really good cold pizza from Casey’s market.  Then we went off in search of some of our drop bags that did not make it to the finish line.  We never did find them but later they were sent to us for the cost of the postage and a small handling fee.  Nothing missing. 

There’s more to tell but this is getting outrageously long.  Perhaps I will write another post about the run or perhaps I will tell you over a drink after another race.   So, to finish this off, here are a few observations:

1)     Good friends forget that you were a jerk on the trail (thank you Gladys)
2)     2Toms Butt Shield and Sportshield are necessary and sufficient products
3)     Running long distances is more mental work than physical work
4)     If you’re relatively healthy, you can do it
5)     Nothing beats a sunny day on the trail
6)     Hot dogs and cold pizza taste marvelous when you’ve been working hard
7)     Injini toe socks are amazing
8)     Friends are even more amazing



2 comments:

  1. Amazing accomplishment, and you made me feel like I was with you. Way to go, Kristin, Gladys, and all! I'm proud to know you two and hope your "can do" attitude continues to rub off on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin, you are such a JOY! Great report! Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment! I can't wait to see what you are up to next tough lady! #womenpower

    ReplyDelete