Friday, September 12, 2014

50 Miles or Bust!

A few weeks ago, I posted on Facebook that I was tired of all the emphasis on trying to go faster and further.  I said that I just wanted to run and enjoy it.   Although that is still true, I decided I wanted a primary goal for 2015.  Frankly, I was fearful that if I didn’t set a goal, I would just flounder.  For some reason, I like to lay out training plans, track progress and do the work.  I get pleasure in building the spreadsheets.  Just a tad analytical, I’ve been told.

With that said, I am really not interested in doing another road marathon.  Slogging along a paved trail with thousands of other people just doesn’t appeal to me.  I’m also not really excited about the triathlon thing.  Biking and running in wet clothing isn’t my thing either.  Plus, I wonder if I have the mental capacity to remember all the stuff one needs for a tri – bicycle, hat, helmet, shoes, socks, etc.   I wear what I need to runs, that pretty much takes care of it.   So what should I do next year, I know sign up for an Ultra Marathon!  (play the scratching of a needle across a record here and the music stops) Am I crazy?  What the heck?  Didn’t I just say I wasn’t interested in going further?  

Somehow, a new Ultra, the Hennepin Hundred came to my attention.   This will be the first running for a 50 mile and 100 mile trail run along the Hennepin Canal in north central Illinois.  The Hennepin Canal played an important role in the history of the United States, and to commerce and industry, and the entire canal is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Hennepin was the first American canal built of concrete without stone cut facings. Although the Hennepin enjoyed limited success as a waterway, engineering innovations used in its construction were a bonus to the construction industry. Some of the innovations pioneered on the Hennepin Canal were probably used on the Panama Canal. Both used concrete lock chambers and both used a feeder canal from a man-made lake to water the canals because both needed water to flow ‘uphill.’ 
Not the Map of the Run but of the Canal

Registration doesn’t open until November but I plan to sign up early and get training.  I have a five month 50 mile training plan set to go but will use the time between Nov. 2014 and June 2015, when the plan starts, to build a really solid foundation including a LOT more core and upper body work.  My overall goal is to run this 15 lbs lighter than I am now and a lot stronger.   I am really excited to do this and figure the added benefit of looking good at my 40th high school reunion next September is extra motivation.   One of my run club buddies says she is going to sign up too.  I sure hope so because some of the training weekends are pretty grueling – 28 miles on Saturday, 12 on Sunday.  Yikes!


So, while I sit my bum on the sofa waiting for my knee to heal, I’m dreaming up big (long) plans for next year.   What are you tossing around for 2015?

2 comments:

  1. Stumbled on to your blog while googling the date for the Hennepin. Great read! Hope to see you there, I won't be running but will be volunteering.

    -Dawn

    ReplyDelete