Sunday, August 10, 2014

Now What Have I Gotten Myself Into?!


I haven’t been on a bike in almost three years and I’ve been in the pool only a couple times more than that.  Why am I signed up for a Triathlon?  A couple months ago, someone in my run club sent around a discount code for a local mini Triathlon.  As I read the information, 250 yard swim, 6 mile bike ride, 2 mile run, I thought “I can do that.”   So I registered.   I’m now wondering if that was such a good idea?!!!!


In 2011, I trained all spring to participate in the Chicago Ride for AIDS.   I spent hours on my bicycle, mastered the art of clipping in (with a few fairly serious falls), and participated in the ride which was two back to back Century rides on a very hot and humid July weekend.   At mile 195, I took a nasty spill on Sheridan Ave. when another rider stopped in front of me mistakenly thinking we had a stop sign (we did not.) I got back on my bike, rode into the finale and that was the last time I got on my bike until last week.  Every time I thought about getting on the bike, I would remember that fall and decide I really didn’t want to end up on the pavement.  I had been spooked!  But last week, I pulled out my bike, put on my helmet and a pair of sneakers (no clips) and took a 6 mile spin through the neighborhood without a mishap.  I wasn’t entirely comfortable but I managed an average 15 mph speed and enjoyed the breeze.


Swimming?!  I have been in the pool for lap swimming probably once in the past 5 years or more.  250 yds, how hard can that be?  Yesterday, I ran five miles and then got into the pool and timed 250 yds.  With 20 sec breaks between laps, I completed it in 7 minutes flat.  Not a speed record but respectable.  Wonder what it will be like to do this cold, no warm up early on a Sunday morning?


My biggest concern, what the heck do I wear?  I’m a double D.  No running without supporting the girls.  After much research and advice from friends, I think I’m going to wear a sports bra under my swimsuit and then throw on a tech shirt and light shorts in the transition area before the bike portion.  I suspect I may get a little chafing but it’s such a short tri that I should be ok.  I might even wear my compression shorts over my swimsuit during the swim.  
Now my big concern is what the heck do I do with my car keys?  I don’t think those electronic fobs are waterproof.

1 comment: