Friday, March 21, 2014

Marathon Training Schedule

On May 3rd, 2014, I am scheduled to run my 2nd marathon.  The “Cheesiest” marathon, the Wisconsin
This kid knows how to wear the cheese!
Marathon in Kenosha, WI.  My training has taken a few hits with the winter weather, a nasty cold a few weeks back and just general motivation blahs.  BUT, I’m pretty sure I will be able to do it using short intervals right from the beginning.  A number of people have asked about the training plan that I used to get me to and through the Chicago Marathon.  I used a combination of training plans found on the web and the  18 week plan below is what I followed.  I was already doing long runs of 10 miles when I started this.  If you are doing shorter long runs, you may need more time to prepare.  I had also been running consistently for about 8 months before I did any of this.

A couple of notes:

  • Saturday was ALWAYS a REST DAY or a walk to prepare for the Sunday long run.  This also allowed me to switch the long run to Saturday if my schedule didn’t allow for the Sunday run.  

  • Note weekday runs are for a set period of time, not distance.

  • The Sunday long runs are a good time to practice the intervals you will actually use at the marathon.  Take the Sunday runs SLOW

  • For the long runs, do shorter loops near your home so you are never far from home if something
    After a 15 Mile run with running buddies!
    happens.  This also allows you to stop and refuel or use the potty.  AND, you can convince people to come a run a loop or two with you and not have to run the whole distance.
Week
Mon
Tues
Wed
Thur
Fri
Sun
1
30 min
Intervals
60 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
60 Min
Intervals
11 miles
Intervals
2
30 min
Intervals
60 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
60 Min
Intervals
4 miles
Intervals
3
30 min
Intervals
65 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
65 Min
Intervals
13 miles
Intervals
4
30 min
Intervals
65 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
65 Min
Intervals
4 miles
Intervals
5
30 min
Intervals
65 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
65 Min
Intervals
15 miles
Intervals
6
30 min
Intervals
70 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
70 Min
Intervals
4 miles
Intervals
7
30 min
Intervals
70 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
70 Min
Intervals
17 miles
Intervals
8
30 min
Intervals
70 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
70 Min
Intervals
4 miles
Intervals
9
30 min
Intervals
75 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
75 Min
Intervals
20 miles
Intervals
10
30 min
Intervals
70 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
70 Min
Intervals
4 miles
Intervals
11
30 min
Intervals
75 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
75 Min
Intervals
22 miles
Intervals
12
30 min
Intervals
90 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
90 Min
Intervals
4 miles
Intervals
13
30 min
Intervals
90 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
90  Min
Intervals
24 miles
Intervals
14
30 min
Intervals
90 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
90 Min
Intervals
4 miles
Intervals
15
30 min
Intervals
60 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
60 Min
Intervals
18 miles
Intervals
16
30 min
Intervals
45 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
45 Min
Intervals
4 miles
Intervals
17
30 min
Intervals
45 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
45 Min
Intervals
4 miles
Intervals
18
30 min
Intervals
45 min
Intervals
XT
XT or rest
REST
MARATHON

I think this can be shortened up somewhat.  But, if you do the whole thing you will be ready.  I remember my husband saying everyone else looked really tired finishing the marathon but not me.   Will this give you a fast time,?  No.  But will you PR? Of course, it’s your first marathon!!! 
 
I’m not doing anything as long as this to prepare for Wisconsin.  I’m hoping that I have some residual training in me from training for Chicago in October 2013.  I may fall flat on my face.  If I do, I guarantee you I will go back to a plan like the one above.

A couple other suggestions.

·         If the weather is hot, get out really early.  I mean like 5:00 AM. You will be done before the day gets really hot.   If you are slow, the longer runs are going to take 4 to 5 hours.  If you get out by 5, you will be done early in the day and your family won’t feel so put out.  The other thing about getting out early, if you’re running on neighborhood roads, particularly on a Sunday, you will find them almost empty.  I saw very few cars through my whole training program.

·         Run your training runs on the road.  Running on trails is very different.  Just ask Ted Jefferson (see, I worked you into my blog Ted) who ran the Naperville St. Paddy’s Day 5K and found out that asphalt is a LOT harder than trails.  In other words, train on the same surface your race will be run on.

·         Contradiction to the point above – take a break on some runs and run a trail or a treadmill.  Give your lets a break.


Run for your life!  Run all your life!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Kristin! This information is so helpful. You are wonderful for taking the time to put this together!!

    ReplyDelete