Saturday, March 16, 2013

The 2013 Race/Run Calendar


It is so easy to get carried away.  All the cool runs that exist in the Chicagoland area.  I can’t imagine living in a remote community where all these options don’t exist.  The only problem with all these interesting runs is that it gets pretty pricey.  Luckily, my company offers a $400 cash back award for participating in all these sporting events.  It doesn’t cover all the entry fees but it certainly helps.

I thought I would be more selective about my runs this year and only do those that would help me along my training path.  But that’s no fun!  Instead, I signed up for runs because they were either for a good cause, starting from a place nearby, looked like fun and/or were on flat ground.  With that said, here’s what’s on the books for 2013.

·        March 16th - St. Paddy’s Day 5K – Naperville: 35:43; 11:30
March 30th – FastCat 10K – Plainfield
April 14th – 360 Youth Services 10K – Naperville
 April 21st – Arbor Day 10K – Morton Arboretum – Lisle
 April 27th – DuPage Human Race 5K– Lisle
May 25th – Run or Dye 5k – Chicago
June 1st – Sweetness Walter Payton 8K – Yorkville
July 21st – Alexian Brothers Evening Half Marathon – Hoffman Estates
Sept 1st – Wine Country Half Marathon – Carlton, OR
Oct 13th – Chicago Marathon
Nov 10th – Naperville Inaugural Half Marathon

10 races.  Oh, but I have had my name in for the Chicago Marathon lottery.  I had a devil of a time trying to register the day the marathon opened and didn’t get in.  I think I can do it this year.  I’ve got a handle on what my body is telling me, I’ve been consistently running since last September and now easily handle 15 to 20 miles each week.  Time to give it a try.  If I don’t do it soon….. I will never make it.  I got in!!!  So that makes 11 races. 

The season has begun.  My first race was this morning.  The Naperville St. Paddy’s Day 5K.  That's me in the blurry picture with my green hair hat waiting in the car before the race.    This was my first 5K in 2011.  I remember being totally intimidated by all the runners and scooted home immediately after the race.  I still scooted home this morning, but not before grabbing a green beer.  I finished 22 out of 60 in my age group.  I’ll never be fast but I feel respectable for someone who started running in their 50’s.  Seriously, I don’t think I had ever run even half a mile prior to 2011.  




1 comment:

  1. The 2012 Chicago Marathon was my first, at the age of 52. I had only started running in 2011, doing 5Ks; and ran my first Half in Jan 2012. It has been a blast! This year I have already completed six races with three of them being Fulls.

    So I know you can do it!!! The Chicago Marathon is an amazing race experience!! Definitely have a training plan to follow or sign up with a marathon training program.

    -Rick
    www.runs2live.com

    ReplyDelete