Monday, March 2, 2015

So It Begins!

I’m just about six months away from conquering my first 50 Mile ultra.  When I ran the Chicago Marathon in 2013, like many, I stated that I would never run another marathon.   I just didn’t see the point in all that training and ultimately running 26.2 miles.  Well, times have changed and a year and half have passed, and the miles are once again beginning to ramp up.  


What is different now?  For one, I’m firmly entrenched in my run club.  I now know people and am comfortable asking for company on all or part of a long run.  When I trained for Chicago, I was still a relative newbie to the group but even then a couple folks often joined me on my training runs.  Two other club members have signed up for this run so right there, training partners.   Secondly, I’ve also been much more consistent in my base training and have been running 20-25 miles per week, including running many days back to back (which I never did before.)  This has greatly improved my overall recovery times.  I know longer need two or three days to come back from long runs.  Thirdly, I’ve gotten to the point where I know how to avoid injury and no enough to rest a couple days if something does ache – I DO NOT run through it.  And finally, I have started to lose some weight.  I wasn’t overweight but definitely on the upper end of healthy and losing a few pounds will make the run that much easier.  I’ve lost about 7 lbs so far and am hoping to lose about ten more by the end of April.
Summer View of the Canal Path

I’m starting to get excited about my 50 Miler.  The Hennepin Canal will be beautiful in late summer and I've heard the camaraderie at these trail ultras is really good.  The group that is running the event has a great reputation and I just can’t wait!!!!


Lots of miles to go before I am ready but I’m pretty sure I will be ready!  Want to join me?  I believe there are still spots open for both the 50 and 100 miler.  Sign up here: https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=29711


No comments:

Post a Comment